Monday, June 4, 2012

Blog Tour: Author Interview with Anne Greenwood Brown Author of Lies Beneath




Please welcome Anne Greenwood Brown, author of Lies Beneath, to the blog today. She has graciously answered some questions for us.
Thanks for stopping by Anne!

*****

What was your favorite part about writing Lies Beneath?
My favorite part of writing Lies Beneath was that I had no agent, no editor, no deadline, no expectations. I was completely free to do whatever I wanted to do, and to tell the story I wanted to tell. On a story-level, I enjoyed developing all the characters’ backstories and understanding why each of them acted the way they did--particularly the mermaid sisters.

Do you have a favorite character? What about them makes them your favorite?
Well, of course I love Calder and Lily, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Maris, which might surprise people because she’s so awful. But in my head I know where she’s been, what she’s gone through, and what’s made her the way she is. I feel sad for her.

What other things do you enjoy besides writing?
I love all things Irish--which may be where my love of story telling comes from. My daughter is an Irish dancer, and I love Irish music, knitting, Guinness, and sheep herding (just kidding with that last one). After I’m done writing about mermaids, my next project will probably reflect my love for my celtic heritage.

What is the one book (besides your own) that you love so much you will push on anyone who will listen?
For little kids, “Miss Twiggley’s Tree” by Dorothea Warren Fox. My grandfather gave me that book when I was 5, and I still keep it in my bedside table. It’s all taped together, and some of the pages fall out, but it’s the most precious thing I own.

What is the one thing you want readers to know about Lies Beneath?

I want readers to know that it’s set in a real place, and that some of the weirdest parts are true. I want them to know that it’s not just a love story, but that it’s primarily an Evolution Story, about an animal, who becomes a man, and tries to do the hardest thing a human being could ever do.
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Book Image: Can Stock Photo