Saturday, May 26, 2012

Blog Tour: Guest Post by Arise author Tara Hudson

Today I would like to welcome Tara Hudson to Hooked to Books as part of a blog tour hosted by Mundie Moms! Tara has been awesome enough to write up a guest post about her five favorite YA/middle grade novels she had while growing up.
Thanks for stopping by Tara!


****

When I was a preteen and teen, YA hadn’t really become a wildly popular subgenre yet.  But lucky for me, there were some early, pretty outstanding YA and MG authors out there to guide my path!  Here are my top 5 favorite YA/MG authors from my childhood.

5. R.L. Stine – First of all, my maiden name was Stine, so I was pretty convinced that I had some cosmic connection to this guy.   Also, he wrote such dark, fun, easily consumable stories that I started to find myself fascinated with an entirely different subgenre: horror.

4. Zilpha Keatley Snyder – It is an absolute shame if ya’ll aren’t familiar with this woman.  Her books rocked my world, mostly because they combined contemporary settings with slightly spooky elements. (Ex. Potentially cursed Egyptian artifacts, bewitched animals, etc.)  She also created believably flawed young characters – not an easy task.  Try out THE EGYPT GAME.  Trust me.

3. Joan Aiken – Her children’s books were so atmospheric, so deliciously gothic, that I couldn’t help but get lost in them.  I wanted to move into THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE and fight sinister English caretakers right along with her heroines.

2. Christopher Pike – Much like Mr. Stine, Christopher Pike introduced me to horror.  But he also introduced me to a world where adult writers didn’t talk down to their audience.  They assumed that young adults could handle a good scare – even a particularly disturbing one. 

1. Ray Bradbury – Although Bradbury is traditionally considered a Sci-Fi writer, a lot of his work dips into childhood issues , too.  SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES terrified me…in the best possible way.

****

CODE WORD: I'm


 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Book Image: Can Stock Photo