Thursday, March 29, 2012

Review: Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter



Published: March 27, 2012 by Harlequin Teen
ISBN: 0373210450 (ISBN13: 9780373210459)
Series: Goddess Test #2
Source: Harlequin Teen via NetGalley
Reviewer: Lindsay
Originally posted at The Violet Hour


Goodreads: "Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it.
Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. 


Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans. As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. 


But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future. Henry's first wife, Persephone."



Coming straight off of a reread of The Goddess Test, I dove right into Goddess Interrupted with some expectations. I enjoy Carter's writing, even though aspects of her characters, at times, drove me absolutely batty. I have never been  big into Greek mythology, but I enjoyed Goddess Interrupted. The storyline was great, and even though certain things became quite repetitive (which I'll address), it was very hard to put down and get out of my thoughts.
I really like Kate. Lots. She's strong, fiesty and not afraid to voice her opinion. Except to Henry about how she feels, how he makes her feel, etc.. Much of the book consists of Kate wringing her hands, worrying that Henry doesn't love her, and never will. And honestly, he, for his own reasons, doesn't give her much to go on. Kate sticks to her guns, though, and I was impressed with some of her decisions.



I am torn on whether or not I like Henry. In Goddess Interrupted, I found him to be a huge jerk 96% of the time. I understand his need to distance himself, but if he would  have simply opened up a little bit and not assumed he knew what went down or how Kate felt, it would have been so nice…for Kate, and me as a reader! When things are sweet between Henry and Kate (aka, when they actually communicate), they are wonderful together. i'm really hoping in book 3 we get a chance to see them working together, ruling the Underworld. 

Carter gives us a serious punch to the gut with the ending. I've heard that the final copy of GI has a longer ending, so that makes me happy because I felt the ARC ending could have been fleshed out a little more and tie things up as much as possible. I am definitely looking forward to everyone's reactions, and I am excited to see where Aimee Carter goes with such an interesting story.









 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Book Image: Can Stock Photo