Friday, March 2, 2012

Guest Post: The Music of Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Today, I have Kristen Simmons, author of Article 5, on the blog talking about the music that inspired Article 5. Thanks for stopping by, Kristen! 
*****

Hello Michelle!

Thanks for letting me visit today to talk about one of my favorite things in the world: music!

Music has always been an important part of my life. Even from the time I was a little girl, I remember being inspired by the transporting, transformative properties of songs. Music reaches us on a different level than the spoken word. It evokes something inside of us in a way I don’t think other things can.

When I was writing ARTICLE 5, I listened to a lot of music. Or rather, I listened to a select few songs over and over – once I found the right ones to conjure the right feeling, they stuck. I imagine this was quite annoying for anyone within, say, twenty yards. My husband for instance. Probably better not to ask.

I should clarify – I’m one of those people who can’t actually listen while I write for fear that my head will explode from over stimulation, but while brainstorming (and if you’re a writer you know that every second not actively typing is consumed by thinking about the book), I listened a lot. Here are some of the songs that inspired A5, and make me think of Chase and Ember the second I hear them.

1. Grounds for Divorce -   Elbow
2. Kingdom of Rust  -  Doves
3. Magick  -  Ryan Adams & the Cardinals
4. Call Me When You’re Sober  -  Evanescence
5. Decode  -  Paramore
6. Imaginary  -  Evanescence
7. Runnin’ Wild  -  Airbourne
8. Permanent  -   David Cook
9. For Reasons Unknown  -  The Killers
10. My Immortal  -  Evanescence
11. I Don’t Believe You  -  Pink
12. Hurt  -  Christina Aguilera

Thanks again Michelle, and High-Five for A5!
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Book Image: Can Stock Photo