Thursday, July 7, 2011

Quick Review: Die For Me

Die for Me
Amy Plum
Published: May 10, 2011
ARC Received from HarperTeen

My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.
Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.
Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.
Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.
While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love? - Goodreads



Die For Me was one of those books that I could not wait to get my hands on - and Plum did not disappoint. I really enjoyed this book and loved that it was a new and different paranormal story.


In Die For Me, we meet Kate who has just moved to Paris with her sister Georgia to live with their grandparents after their parents are killed. Kate is having a hard time adjusting to life without her parents and living in Paris - until she meets Vincent. There is something about him that draws her in and when she and Georgia see him and his friends perform a daring rescue - Kate wants to know more.  What Kate discovers in Vincent's world is almost too much for her to handle. Can she open herself up to love after losing so much?


First, I loved the setting of this book. Paris. One of the most romantic places in the world - or so I've heard, I've never been. But Plum's descriptions of Paris are beautiful and make me wish I could visit sometime. The way she describes the cafes, streets, and sections of the city brings it to life and makes the reader feel as if they are there.


I also really liked the characters in the story. Kate is your typical teenage girl - she has her struggles after losing her parents but has her head on her shoulders. I loved Georgia - the wild child sister and always kept the story entertaining. Vincent, the love interest of the story, is suppose to be a swoon-worthy Parisian but I wasn't that drawn to him. Sure, I wanted him and Kate together but he just wasn't my type. I really liked Jules, Ambrose, and Charlotte and find those two boys much more my type while Charlotte would be a great BFF.


*Maybe spoilery* When Kate finds out Vincent is a revenant - a undead human who saves peoples lives and if they die doing it then are "reset" back to the age they really died at - she has to decide if that's the kind of life she wants. Along the way, she finds out about the "bad revenants" - who don't like the way Vincent and his crew do things. 


Plum tells a great story and I'm interested to see where the series goes. I will say that there are some things that aren't too believable and some parts that I guess what was going to happen way before it did. It is definitely an enjoyable read though and a new, fun take on the paranormal.

No comments:

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Book Image: Can Stock Photo