Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Guest Post: 7 of Victoria Schwab's Favorite Books

I am so excited to have Victoria Schwab on the blog today. If you haven't heard by now (and really, you must be living in a cave) - Victoria is the author of the upcoming debut book, The Near Witch. The Near Witch is an amazingly, wonderful read that I absolutely adored. I will be posting my review for it in a few days - but you should pre-order it so you can experience the amazingness as soon as possible.

So, without further ado, here is Victoria's list of her favorite 7 books that shaped her.

******
1. THE GRAVEYARD BOOK and NEVERWHERE by Neil Gaiman

--MOST books by Gaiman, actually, but these two in particular, both of which emphasize a duality of worlds and a richness of character that I die for. They take me away, to places I'd kill to see, and people I'd die to meet (and some I'd be terrified to encounter as well).

2. THE BOOK OF LOST THINGS by John Connolly

--Fairy tale meets terrifying. There's not much more to say, other than that this is brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

3. JONATHON STRANGE AND MR. NORRELL by Susanna Clarke

--Magic woven through 19th-century England in such a way as to make it *almost* mundane, incredible writing, and fabulously quirky.

4. THE NAME OF THE WIND by Patrick Rothfuss

--I'm a hard sell when it comes to most fantasy, but Rothfuss single-handedly converted me.

5. THE SECRET GARDEN by Frances Hodgson Burnett

--Anyone who has read NW probably won't be surprised by this. I read it in university (I know I read it earlier, too, but it stuck with me in university) and was absolutely smitten by the idea of nature as a character, by the respect for that nature, and the elemental nature of Magic, cloaked in the question of "is it real?"

6. WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS by Shel Silverstein

--This, more than anything else, or at least BEFORE anything else, shaped me. It shaped the way I hear words. The way I think. The way I write.

7. MAGIC FOR BEGINNERS by Kelly Link

--This book is why I started writing fiction. I had only done poetry, really, and was so taken with the worlds Link spun, their strangeness, that I set out to try it, too. The result wasn't good, but it was a start, and from there, I couldn't stop. I was hooked.

******
What an amazing list of books! I read The Book of Lost Things a few years ago and LOVED it. I was so excited to see it on her list. Also, Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell has been on my TBR list for forever. I might need to move it up some. 

Thanks for stopping by Victoria! 
And if you haven't yet, you can preorder The Near Witch HERE!
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Book Image: Can Stock Photo