Monday, July 18, 2011

Audio Review: I Am Number Four

I Am Number Four
Pittacus Lore
Published: August 3, 2010
Audio book from Library

In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now.

The Nine had to separate and go into hiding. The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next.

I Am Number Four is the thrilling launch of a series about an exceptional group of teens as they struggle to outrun their past, discover their future—and live a normal life on Earth.

I AM NUMBER FOUR.
I AM NEXT.
  - Goodreads


So, I wanted to read this book before I watched the movie on DVD. I managed to get the book on audio from the library and was thrilled with my choice of listening rather than reading. The reader was great and really brought the whole story to life for me. 

I Am Number Four starts off somewhat slow for me - there is a lot of back story that the author has got to get in but I wanted more action! The reader is introduced to Four - a "alien" from another planet who is hiding out on Earth from the Mogadorian (another alien species who has killed off most of Four's species). Only nine young Lorians made it off their planet with their protectors and they are now being hunted and killed off one by one - but they must be killed in order. (Seems kinda crazy but the story makes a little more sense when you read it).

John Smith, aka Number Four, is next - and him and his protector go on the run again and keep hiding - this time in Paradise, Ohio. Something happens in Paradise that has never happened to John before - he makes friends and falls in love and when love is involved all sense and reason goes out the window. When John discovers that the Mogadorian are too close for comfort it might be too late to save his friends and loved ones from destruction.

Once the book got going I ended up enjoying it a lot (much better than the movie). John Smith is a likable character and you  really want to see him get the girl and save the world - but there's gotta be some problems and he definitely encounters them. The cast of characters surrounding him are also enjoyable - especially Sam. Every alien needs an alien-obsessed side kick, right? 

I listened to this on audio and loved the reader. He does a great job of making the characters each have their own unique voice and not being too dry. I usually don't like male readers but I definitely enjoyed this one and would love for him to read the next book in the series. 

I ended up enjoying this book - but not lovin' it. Now that the ground work has been built and we have a lot of the back story, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to John Smith and the rest of his friends in The Power of Six.  

No comments:

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Book Image: Can Stock Photo