Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review: The Goddess Test

The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen)
Aimee Carter
Published: April 19, 2011
Galley from Netgalley Courtesy of Harlequin Teen

It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess. - Goodreads

 
I loved this book so much! I love that it is a retelling of the Greek myth of Hades and Persephone. I have a history degree and I loved to go over the Greek and Roman history with my students and include some of the god and goddess myths into the lessons. The students loved it and we always had fun with it. I think this is the first YA book that I've read that is based on Greek mythology - even though it seems to be becoming very popular and I have a few on my TBR list. That being said - it is a retelling. The gods and goddess definitely don't compare to the original Greek myths - they are drastically different. But that was okay with me - because I just loved the story. It was something new and different and something besides vampires and werewolves.


I loved Kate, the female lead, in this story. She was a strong character who cared a lot for her mom and friends - so much so that she would make a deal with a stranger to try to save them. One thing that did seem off - she never freaked out. If someone told me that they were a Greek god and I would be tested and have to live with them for so many months out of the year I would definitely freak out a lot more than she does. She definitely takes everything in stride and wants to do it to try to save her mother - no spoiled brats in this book.


I hope Carter develops Henry's character more in the next book. He was a character I really wanted to fall in love with but I just don't think we got to see enough of him to make a connection. Sure - you root for him and Kate and want things to work out but, at the same time, you know there has to be more to him and I would like to see it.


I really enjoyed the plot of The Goddess Test. There was a lot going on in the story and I was always wondering what was going to happen next. The reader knows that Kate is being "tested" to see if she should become Henry's partner in ruling the Underworld - what we don't know is what the tests are and if she is passing them. I loved how all that played out and I didn't see most of the ending coming. I love it when books can still surprise me and I don't guess the ending/what is going to happen.


The Goddess Test is a great, fun read. The retelling of a Greek myth caught my attention and kept me interested in the story. I can't wait to see what happens with all the characters next.

No comments:

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Book Image: Can Stock Photo