Thursday, June 2, 2011

Book Tour Review: The Girl in the Steel Corset

Kady Cross
Published: May 24, 2011
eGalley from Netgalley

In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one…except the "thing" inside her.
When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch….
Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits: Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret.
Griffin's investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help—and finally be a part of something, finally fit in.
But The Machinist wants to tear Griff's little company of strays apart, and it isn't long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she's on—even if it seems no one believes her. -Goodreads

A steampunk YA book set in 1897 England? Yes, please! When I first saw talk of this book I was very curious about it. The concept was interesting, the cover GORGEOUS, and the setting different from most YA books. I was happy when Teen Book Scene added me to the tour for this book and excited to read it.

The Girl in the Steel Corset starts out with action and intensity. Finley Jayne has a dark side - a side that she has no control over once it is unleashed. When she runs from an incident involving her dark side she falls right into the lap of Griffin King, Duke of Greythorne, and full of mystery and intrigue himself. Griffin sees something in Finely and takes her into his band of "misfits" - against the wishes of his closest friend, Sam. With Finely now in the group, they must work together not only to help her control her dark side but find The Machinist - a crazy mastermind that is using automatons to commit crimes within the city.

I loved the characters in this book. Finley was such a strong character. She has a Jekyll and Hyde personality going on that makes her very interesting. I liked that she didn't take crap from anyone - even when her good side was out and not the bad. Griffin, how has "powers" of his own, is the good guy in the story - the leader of the group and the protector. I just loved him so much. I usually go for the bad boy but not in this case - definitely loved Griffin out of all the boys. Speaking of bad boys - Jack Dandy is the resident bad boy in the book who takes a liking to Finley. He is a very interesting characters with a soft spot for Finely and a cockney accent that can be endearing and annoying all at the same time. He is not part of the group but I have a feeling that might change eventually. Emily, the smart girl of the group, is sweet and caring and way smart. The things the girl can do with machines is amazing. Sam, who is half machine thanks to Emily who saved his life, is in love with Emily. He is the muscle of the group and not happy at all with Finley's presence. I also loved Jasper, an American cowboy, who is fun loving and made any scene he was in that much more entertaining.

I've gotta say - Thank you, Kady Cross for no insta-love! The relationships between all the characters and relationships are developed wonderfully. Cross does an excellent job of world and relationship building that doesn't leave you wondering how the characters got from point A to point B so fast with no explanation.

One thing that was obvious was the villain - I knew who it was as soon as they were introduced to the story. That being said - it didn't take away from the story at all and made it more interesting to see how it would all work out.

Overall, I loved this book. It had a little bit of everything to keep the reader entertained and wanting more. I can't wait to see what Cross does with the characters next!




6 comments:

Tracy.H said...

Great review! I am definitely going to read this one and soon. :0)

Laura (All of Everything) said...

Yay no insta-love! I always find steampunk fascinating, and Finley sounds like a very different character than usual--in a good way. I'll be reading this one!

Tiffany said...

Great review! This one sounds really good. I'll have to get it soon :)

Jessica said...

Awesome review!! I loooved this one too! And I still have to buy my keeper copy but I'm trying to hold out on a contest that still hasn't revealed the winner for a copy. Crossing my fingers!

Jessica@a GREAT read

Kathryn S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jfeltonx7 said...

The cover of the book is so beautiful. I will buy this book for sure. Actually I like the review and I will love to read it.

Watch Robot Chicken Episodes

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Book Image: Can Stock Photo