Monday, May 30, 2011

Guest Author Post by Michelle Muto

I'm very excited to have a guest post today by Michelle Muto, author of The Book of Lost Souls.

When teen witch Ivy MacTavish changes a lizard into her date for a Halloween dance, everything turns to chaos. And when no one is powerful enough to transform him back except Ivy, it sparks the rumor: Like father, like daughter. Ivy has heard it all before - that her father, who left when she was seven – was involved with the darkest of magic.

Making the rumors worse, someone uses an evil spell book to bring back two of history's most nefarious killers. Ivy's got a simple plan to set things right: find the real dark spell caster, steal the book, and reverse the spell. No problem! But she’ll have to deal with something more dangerous than murderous spirits that want her and her friends dead: the school’s resident bad boy and hotter-than-brimstone demon, Nick Marcelli. Nick’s offering Ivy more than his help with recovering the missing book – he’s offering her a way to ditch her scaly reputation as a lizard-lover. Demons are about as hard to handle as black magic, and as Ivy soon discovers, it’s going to take more than a lot of luck and a little charm if she wants to survive long enough to clear her status as a dark witch, get a warm-blooded boyfriend, and have her former date back to eating meal worms before the week’s end. - Goodreads




Five Things I’ve Learned As A Writer

5. Technology does not always make my life better or easier. I'm a die-hard geek, so this was tough for me.I try to limit how much time I spend on social media sites. These giant time-suckers will made me wonder where my time went when I should be: a) writing or reading or b) out enjoying a life.  The best advice? Get out more. Smile, live, laugh – and share it with those you love. And don’t look in the App store, because there’s just no app for that.
4. Never trust people who don’t have a sense of humor.  If they were real people, whom would you trust? Ron or Voldemort?
3. Everything you must have, owns you. For me, it was too much TV time, stuff I own, or the internet. All things that pulled me away from either writing, or spending time with those I love.
2. Keep trying.  When The Book of Lost Souls barely missed being picked up by a large agency after a more established client came up with witch story, I had two choices: let the manuscript rot on my hard drive, or self-publish it. I chose to self-publish it. Yes, I was heartbroken when the only reason my book was turned away was because someone else wanted to write a story about a witch. After all, the agents loved The Book of Lost Souls! But, sometimes things don't turn out the way we want. One of my favorite two sayings: If you think you can or think you can't, you're right. ~Henry Ford. And, When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time." ~Author Unknown
1. It’s all about the experience. It doesn’t matter if we’re talking a book, a movie, vacation, dinner out, or a product you’ve purchased, It’s about the experience. See, the experience – the stuff we enjoy and seek out is not about money at all. It’s about what we get out of things – paid for or free. With books,  the reader wants to be drawn into the characters and the setting. They want to feel like they’re right there, experiencing, seeing, and feeling what the characters do. I hope that I've delivered that with The Book of Lost Souls.

Great advice, Michelle! Thanks so much for stopping by!! 
Make sure to check out her book!

4 comments:

Angela Addams said...

Excellent advice Michelle! It's important to live a balanced life -it's so easy for writers to get caught up in things and forget about the outside world - although it's also easy to get distracted -there are some many great forums and blogs out there to keep up with!

daniellelapaglia said...

Fantastic advice, Michelle. Like Angela, I agree that a balanced life is the most important. We become so obsessed with the craft and the social networking to build a base, but we forget to enjoy the things and the people around us. What good is the dream if you don't enjoy the journey with the ones you love.

Kelly said...

Fantastic post! I definitely relate to the internet and social media sites taking too much of my time, that I should be spending reading or writing (right now is the perfect example). And the encouragement for writers to not give up is great. Thank you!

Michelle Muto said...

Thanks so much for stopping by, guys! I truly appreciate it. <3

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Book Image: Can Stock Photo