Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Do You SYNC YA?

So, last year I participated in the SYNC YA Literature in Your Earphones event that was being hosted by Audiobook Community. I love audiobooks and YA so what could be better than 16 free audiobooks all summer?! I got some great titles last year, including Hunger Games (which I had already read and loved - so I've listened to it a few times since).

This year, they are promoting it even more. You can sign up for text messages reminding you to download the new title - which will be very helpful since I would forget about it last year until the last day it was available.

Text syncya to 25827 to receive text alerts about all the featured titles.

So, how it works. Every week they will be offering two free audiobooks - a newer YA paired with a classic. The titles this year looks great.

SYNC Titles
Summer 2011
Available June 23 - June 29
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare
Available June 30 - July 6
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
The Trial by Franz Kafka
Available July 7 - July 13
Where the Streets Had a Name by Randa Abdel-Fattah
A Passage to India by E. M. Forster
Available July 14 - July 20
The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney
Beowulf by Francis B. Gummere [Trans.]
Available July 21 - July 27
Chanda's Secrets by Allan Stratton
Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
Available July 28 - August 3
Ashes, Ashes by Jo Treggiari
Rescue: Stories of Survival From Land and Sea by Dorcas S. Miller [Ed.]
Available August 4 - August 10
Immortal by Gillian Shields
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Available August 11 - August 17
Storm Runners by Roland Smith
The Cay by Theodore Taylor

If you are a school librarian or educator, this would be a great way to get kids to read some books (especially classics) that they might not be interested in. AND, it could work for you in your classroom. If you are doing a lesson on Wuthering Heights or The Cay - play the audio for them.

I can't really say enough good things about this program. I've been passing out info to my teachers, making bookmarks for my library, and hanging up poster everywhere I can. 

If you want more info, click on over to the Sync Information Page. There are some great resources there to help you out with promoting the event.

4 comments:

BooksforCompany said...

Thanks so much!
This sounds AWESOME!

nymfaux said...

That sounds like a lot of fun--I love YA and classics so I'll definitely check it out--Do you need to sign up for anything--or have anything special to download them?--I'm still going to check out the site, but I wanted to ask you, since you've actually used it before!

Tracy.H said...

Hey Michelle,

Be sure to stop by my blog and pick up your Stylish Blogger Award!

http://tracyshappybookshelf.blogspot.com/2011/05/stylish-blogger-award.html

karen! said...

ooooh... thanks for the reminder! I got some of the books last year. And, it was what finally got me to read 'Hunger Games'.
I can't wait to grab this year's offerings.

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Book Image: Can Stock Photo