Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Review: Cryer's Cross

Goodreads Description:
The community of Cryer’s Cross, Montana (population 212) is distraught when high school freshman Tiffany disappears without a trace. Already off-balance due to her OCD, 16-year-old Kendall is freaked out seeing Tiffany’s empty desk in the one-room school house, but somehow life goes on... until Kendall's boyfriend Nico also disappears, and also without a trace. Now the town is in a panic. Alone in her depression and with her OCD at an all-time high, Kendall notices something that connects Nico and Tiffany: they both sat at the same desk. She knows it's crazy, but Kendall finds herself drawn to the desk, dreaming of Nico and wondering if maybe she, too, will disappear...and whether that would be so bad. Then she begins receiving graffiti messages on the desk from someone who can only be Nico. Can he possibly be alive somewhere? Where is he? And how can Kendall help him? The only person who believes her is Jacian, the new guy she finds irritating...and attractive. As Kendall and Jacian grow closer, Kendall digs deeper into Nico's mysterious disappearance only to stumble upon some ugly—and deadly—local history. Kendall is about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried.

My Thoughts:
I've gotta say that I loved this book. I normally don't go for the creepy/scary books. My husband is on night shift so I hate to be alone in my house reading something that freaks me out but this one just looked great and I had to read it.

McMann introduces the reader to the town of Cryer's Cross, a small town in Montana, that has just experience a horrible tragedy - a girl from the town is missing and they  have no leads on what happened to her. Summer passes and the students head back to school - while most notice Tiffany's absence they go on with their lives. Kendall has more trouble than most - she is OCD and when things are off she has a hard time dealing. When her best friend and somewhat boyfriend, Nico, disappears - it sends her world into turmoil. When strange things start happening, the new guy in town, Jacian, is the only person that Kendall feels like she can turn to and he actually believes her.

I read this book a few weeks ago and it has taken me so long to sit down and write this review. I loved the book - it was so different and told in a way that really made you feel for Kendall and all the feelings she is experience. I always kid and say I have OCD about stuff (all my light switches have to be a certain way) but seeing what Kendall goes through - not so much.

I really enjoyed Kendall's relationship with Jacian. At first she is scared of him, he is the new guy and new to her world - but as she gets to know him she learns that she can be friends with him even if it is outside her comfort zone. 

If you haven't read this book you definitely need to pick it up. This is the first book I read by Lisa McMann and I really enjoyed her writing. Her characters are very well developed - I felt like I knew all the characters enough to be drawn into their world and care about what happened to them. The ending of the book freaked me out a little. I couldn't put it down the last 50 pages or so. I would love to see more of Kendall, Jacian, and the rest of the Cryer's Cross gang.

5 comments:

The Lovely Getaway said...

AWESOME review, Michelle! I'll admit, the synopsis gave me goosebumps :) i've heard both good and bad things about this book, but your thoughts kind of settled it for me; it looks like i'll be adding cryer's cross to be TBR pile :) thanks for sharing!

Diana

Truly Bookish said...

Great review! I am looking forward to reading this one!
NC
Truly Bookish

Two Readers Reviews said...

I loved this book as well. I thought it had the perfect amount of creepiness! I swear at times I had actual goosebumps!

Great review!

csilibrarian said...

Great review! I've been debating this one, but now I shall debate no more and try to get ahold of a copy very soon. :)

- April

Miss Remmers said...

I really enjoyed this book too! Glad you liked it!

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Book Image: Can Stock Photo