Saturday, December 18, 2010

Review; The Replacement

Goodreads Description:
Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.


My Thoughts:
Truthfully, I was avoiding this book. Even though I had heard it was really good I normally don't do scary anything. Movies, books, tv shows - anything that I think will give me nightmares I do not watch. But when this book came in at the library I decided to give it a go.

This book is about all the creepy monsters that came out at night to terrorize a neighborhood and steal one of their children every so many years. Even though the creatures in the story are creepy and it reads like a horror story - the book is also about friendship and love.

From the love of Mackie's sister, who always protected him even though he was a little strange, to the friendship with Tate and what it leads Mackie to do - it is a horror story with lots of bright spots built in.

I really enjoyed this book and I'm glad I picked it up when it came in. Even though its a horror story it didn't freak me out like I thought it would. Even though Mackie is kinda weird and creepy, he is someone the reader rots for and wants to see make it through all the bad stuff happening to him.

3 comments:

Mad Scientist said...

I'm really looking forward to this book. Sweet review for such a unique book.

Angelfire was really good. I had no idea it was that long. It sure didn't feel that long. I breezed through it and there are less pages when it is on the Nook for some reason. But I sure did enjoy it!!

Stop by my giveaway of a Hardcover copy of Beautiful Creatures and find out how to enter for a Hardcover of Beautiful Darkness at Ridley's Giveaway .

I'm also hosting Morbid Romantica Challenge 2011 you might be interested. It will be integrated throughout the year with giveaways, author musings on random subjects, and fun feature weeks.

Mad Scientist

Steampunkery & Book Reviews

Dana Wright said...

Glad you liked the book too. I loved it.

Thanks for the follow. Looks like we read lots of the same stuff.:)

Best,

Dana

Vicky CK said...

See, I think this could be a really iinteresting idea: story from the point of view of the one left in place of the stolen child. But like you I do NOT read scary stories. But I notice this one keeps catching my eye...
Thanks for the review from someone like me, who doesn't usually read this type of book. Gives me a better feel for if I think I can handle it. If I can get my nerve up, that is, lol.

vickykerr[at]sbcglobal.net

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Book Image: Can Stock Photo